Live Plant Dealer

Poinsettia greenhouse The information that you will need concerning becoming a live plant dealer, inspections and licensing are included below -  click the topic you are interested in to view the information or click expand all to view all of the information.

The purpose of live plant dealer licensing is to ensure that all  live plants sold in Kansas are not infested with dangerous plant diseases, insects, or other damaging plant pests.


Inspection fee:             $30 per hour plus mileage        
            Certification fee:          $20 for domestic shipments
                                             $50 for international shipments

A bill will be sent to you after the inspection.

If you have questions or need additional information, please call us at 785-564-6698.

  • Licensing Requirements

  • Pest Freedom Standards

  • Inspection Requirements: Shipping Plants to Other States

Nursery and Greenhouse Pest Alert

Tobacco Mosaic in Ornamental and Vegetable Bedding Plants

Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is transmitted plant to plant by tools and worker hands or by propagative material.  Seed transmission is known in some species. The virus is also highly contagious in sap.  Once the virus is detected, growers must make concerted efforts to sanitize such things as pots, door knobs, knives and benches.  The virus has an extremely wide host range including the majority of ornamental and vegetable bedding plants and can remain dormant for several years in plant debris.  The virus is a documented threat in food production systems such as tomato, pepper, potato and soybeans, all of which are grown in Kansas.  TMV does not infect wheat or corn.

Like many diseases in the bedding plant trade, TMV can become a problem in propagative production outside the United States and then enter after clearance at a USDA port.  Propagative cuttings or other material often do not express symptoms and pest problems can slip through the busy ports of inspection.  From there, direct shipment to production greenhouses or rooting houses brings the virus with the plant to Kansas.  In the case with TMV, the virus can easily be transmitted to plants as growers divide, root, and transfer plant material for the thousands of plants they grow.  In a matter of weeks, the disease can exponentially expand infecting many different plant species and be shipped to a new facility or to retailers as plants are moved within commerce.  Once the plant is in consumer’s hands, the virus can move to gardens, truck farms or even to such crops as soybean on the hands, clothing, tools and equipment of a farmer or housewife.

TMV, along with other viruses is regulated in the Kansas plant trade with a 0 percent tolerance.   The plant can be tested on site for TMV with commercial test kits by Kansas Department of Agriculture inspectors and greenhouse managers.  This is a valuable tool in assessing the health of various plant species.  Symptoms shown in pictures by blue arrows include leaf distortion, puckering, vein clearing, mosaic of leaf color and stunting.

Figure 1. Tobacco mosaic infection Red Fox brand
petunias originating from El Salvador, Dummen source, 2014

Figure 2. TMV petunia in Kansas, 2002, J. Appel, KDA

For more information: 


Live Plant Dealer List

Live Plant Dealer Newsletter