This part of our program is governed by the Kansas Fertilizer Law.  

We are responsible for ensuring that fertilizer products are properly labeled and safely stored. Safe storage preserves the integrity of the fertilizer product and helps prevent contamination of groundwater and surface water, and exposure to humans and animals. An accurate label guarantees that consumers, both urban and rural, have the information they need to choose the correct product and application amounts. We also regulate the storage and transport of anhydrous ammonia and we license individuals who blend fertilizer products.

Anyone handling bulk fertilizer should read our Secondary Containment page to determine if secondary containment and/or load pads are required.

The Fertilizer Product Instructions is a brief instruction sheet for filling out the Fertilizer Product Application form.  In addition to the registration form, a $25 registration fee per product and a complete label for each product are also required. Fertilizer product registration periods run from July 1 to June 30 of the following calendar year.

The Fertilizer Product Registration List is the list of currently registered fertilizer products.  The products are listed by registrant.

Important Note To All Fertilizer Registrants:  Kansas law requires fertilizer registrants to file semiannual tonnage reports with the Kansas Department of Agriculture and to keep adequate records showing the tonnage of each commercial fertilizer shipped to or sold, offered or exposed for sale, or distributed - for use in Kansas.  Tonnage reports are due on all registered fertilizer products even if the report is for zero tons.  An inspection fee of $1.67 per ton is also due semiannually and should be submitted with the tonnage report.  Use the Fertilizer Tonnage Reporting to report tonnages and calculated inspection fees. Tonnage reporting periods are from January 1 to June 30 (due by the end of July), and from July 1 to December 31 (report due by the end of January).  Fertilizer Codes A late fee of $10 per day is applicable on any late report - regardless of the associated tonnage.

Fertilizer Blender Application is needed for anyone who blends only registered commercial fertilizers at the request and according to specifications furnished by the customer or purchaser. The registration Fee is $125 and expires December 31.