In order to provide consumers with information about certain risky foods, the Kansas Food Code requires food establishments that serve raw or undercooked foods of animal origin (such as meats, eggs, and seafood) to clearly identify those foods and remind consumers of the risks of eating those foods.
The Food Code Requirements are:
Food Code Section 3-603.11
Consumption of Animal Foods that are Raw, Undercooked, or Not Otherwise Processed to Eliminate pathogens.*
Except as specified in 3-401.11(C) and Subparagraph 3-401.11(D)(3) and under 3-801.11(C), if an animal FOOD such as beef, EGGS, FISH, lamb, milk, pork, POULTRY, or shellfish is served or sold raw, undercooked, or without otherwise being processed to eliminate pathogens, either in READY-TO-EAT form or as an ingredient in another READY-TO-EAT FOOD, the LICENCEE shall inform CONSUMERS of the significantly increased RISK of consuming such FOODS by way of a DISCLOSURE and REMINDER, as specified in (B) and (C) of this section using brochures, deli case or menu advisories, label statements, table tents, placards, or other effective written means.
DISCLOSURE shall include:
- A description of the animal-derived FOODS, such as oysters on the half shell (raw oysters), raw-EGG Caesar salad, and hamburgers (can be cooked to order);or
- Identification of the animal-derived FOODS by asterisking them to a footnote that states that the items are served raw or undercooked, or contain (or may contain) raw or undercooked ingredients.
REMINDER shall include asterisking the animal-derived FOODS requiring DISCLOSURE to a footnote that states:
- Regarding the safety of these items, written information is available upon request;
- Consuming raw or undercooked MEATS, POULTRY, seafood, shellfish, or EGGS may increase your RISK of foodborne illness; or
- Consuming raw or undercooked MEATS, POULTRY, seafood, shellfish, or EGGS may increase your RISK of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.
Consumer Advisory Assistance Templates
Table Tent Advisory Instructions
Table Tent Advisory Template 1
Table Tent Advisory Template 2
Table Tent Advisory Template 3
Wall Plaque Advisory Instructions
Wall Plaque Advisory Template 1
Wall Plaque Advisory Template 2
Wall Plaque Advisory Template 3