Import and Export Regulations

Import Permitting:  

**Import Requirements have not changed**

Veterinarians please use our Online Permitting System to get your permit number.  If this isn’t an option then please call 785-564-6616 and leave the following details in your message for the temporary permit:

  • The health certificate number that the animals will be listed on
  • The issuing veterinarian and practice phone number
  • The headcount and type of animals being transported into Kansas
  • The consignor and animals’ PHYSICAL address
  • The consignee and animals’ PHYSICAL destination address
  • Livestock requiring a permit...

  • Information required for a permit...

If you have questions concerning the importation of animals please visit or you can leave a message with your name and phone number and we will get back with you as soon as we can.

For cervid importation questions please reach out to one of the veterinarians listed below. 

Contact Dr. Justin Smith 785-633-3646 or Dr. Sara McReynolds 785-473-6774

Animal Disease Traceability and RFID tags:
Garrett Girk or call 785-564-6606

Premises ID and electronic CVI questions:
Garrett Girk or call 785-564-6606

Animal Facility Inspection:
Dr. Sasha Thomason 785-564-6607

General questions:
Leave a message at 785-564-6601 and we will return your call or email

Import Permits

VESICULAR STOMATITIS: All horses, cattle, sheep, goats and swine originating from any county where vesicular stomatitis (VS) has been diagnosed in the past 30 days, (except cattle and swine transported directly to slaughter), must be accompanied by a health certificate (certificate of veterinary inspection), permit, and signed by an accredited veterinarian that includes the following statement:  "All animals identified on this certificate have been examined by me and found to be free of vesicular stomatitis. These animals have not been exposed to vesicular stomatitis nor located on premises where vesicular stomatitis has been diagnosed within thirty (30) days."

APHIS FORM 7001 is NOT an acceptable documentation for interstate certificates of veterinary inspection for Kansas Imports OR Exports.

Call the Kansas import desk at 785-564-6616 during office hours (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Central) for import regulations and permit numbers. Species-specific import regulations can be found below. If you are exporting animals out of Kansas, please call the state of destination. A list of state import contacts can be found here.

  • For an entry permit any time, enter your information into the online permitting system here. First-time users will need to register on the site. Below is a description of the Animal ID Codes in the online permitting system.
  • OR after hours, call the Kansas import desk at 785-564-6616 to leave a message with required information and receive a temporary permit number. A list of required information is below.
  • For the import of animals from other countries, call the Kansas import desk at 785-564-6616. International health certificates and testing requirements must also be met.

Animal Import Permits

  • What information is required on a permit?

    • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (health paper) number
    • Number and type of animals (include: age or weight, sex, breed)
    • Inspection date
    • Consignee/origin name
    • Origin physical address
    • Consignor/destination name
    • Destination physical address
    • Purpose of movement
    • Issuing veterinarian name and contact phone number
  • Which livestock need a permit?

    • All consigned rodeo stock
    • All dairy cattle
    • All dairy-beef cross cattle
    • Calves 60 days-of-age or less, not accompanied by dam
    • Cattle from a Designated Surveillance Area (DSA)
    • All bison
    • All cervids
    • All poultry or hatched eggs
    • All Mexican or Canadian origin cattle
    • All porcine
    • All exotics

Import Regulations

Animals imported into Kansas must meet our Import Requirements to ensure the safety and health of both the animal and the Kansas livestock industry. Read the Kansas statutes and regulations at:

Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) and Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R.)
Kansas Trichomoniasis K.A.R. 9-7-4 (c)

General Requirements are as follows:
All animals entering Kansas shall be accompanied by an official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI, health certificate) issued within 30 days prior to movement into Kansas unless moving to an approved slaughter facility or to an approved livestock market. All species imported for breeding purposes or requiring testing shall be individually identified by a method approved by the animal health commissioner (official USDA ear tag, breed registration tattoo, microchip, registered ear notch, etc). A list of official identification ear tags can be found here.

All health certificates must have physical addresses (NOT post office boxes) for both the consignor and consignee.
For specific species, select the type of animal being imported into Kansas from the list below and follow the guidelines provided, or visit to search import requirements from any state.
  • Exhibition & Rodeo Stock

  • Beef Cattle

  • Dairy Cattle

  • Bison

  • Domesticated Deer and Captive Cervidae

  • Swine - Porcine

  • Camelids (Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, etc.)

  • Equidae (Horses, Asses, and Zebra)

  • Ratites (Ostrich, Emu, Rhea, etc.)

  • Sheep and Goats

  • Birds and Fowl

  • Dogs and Cats

  • Zoo and Exotic Animals, Wildlife

  • Rabbits

Commissioner's order restricting the importation of dairy breeds

As of April 01, 2012, until further notice, a commissioner's order tightens import regulations on all dairy breeds of cattle entering Kansas. To view this order click here.

Export Regulations

APHIS FORM 7001 is NOT an acceptable documentation for interstate certificates of veterinary inspection for Kansas Imports OR Exports.

For exporting animals from Kansas to other states and/or countries, please see the destination state's import requirements, or visit to search import requirements from any state. A list of contacts for all US states and territories can be found at the USDA import and export regulations webpage here.